I'm Better than Some

I found a website that has the uncanny ability to peer into my soul and divulge those secrets I thought I could keep hidden.

According to the experts, this particular blog of mine is "40% evil, 60% good," while my writing blog is "30% evil, 70% good."

I should take some lesson from that, maybe see it as a validation of my literary efforts.

But enough of that, tonight I meant to talk about birds. I'm more of an expert on them than many recognize and have even held a pelican once when I was rescuing him. He was in the middle of the street, unable to get airborne because of the traffic, so I went out and picked him up, covered him in a beach towel, and carried him to the beach and let him go.

He was surprisingly light, but pelicans are only one of the birds I've come to recognize. Some experts are too finicky and particular for my tastes, because in all honesty there's only some half-dozen bird types. There are flamingos, owls, pelicans, parrots, hummingbirds, and birds, which come in large, medium, or smaller.

These attempts to cite specific breeds can only lead to sorrow, and is done mostly by people showing off. I think the mostly make up the names as they go along, and who could ever argue with them?

Birds, mostly, are brown or black, and they all look very much the same, just as lizards and bugs do. To call one a crested swallow and another a tern helps no one, and just confuses the issue. It's a bird.

Today there were four or five birds sitting on the telephone wire right above me while I was raking. They knew they were safe, that I like looking at them, and paid me not the slightest interest. Unlike some geese I've run across (another bird name, but sufficiently known as "large white birds"), they didn't threaten me, and I appreciated that.

I'd add "woodpeckers" to my list, but we don't have those here.

0 comments: