My Mixed Life

You may not be able to tell by looking, but I'm still busy with jury duty. It's fairly obvious that I'm being saved up for a really big case, maybe one with that Lousiana Congressman or someone who was in charge of Fanny Mae. In any case, after three days they've yet to find a suitable trial, one demanding my many areas of expertise.

Today, though, I became a bit sad. While it's true that every day I realize just how lucky I've been and how many wonderful things have happened, and continue to happen, to me, I had a stunning blow while perusing the aisles of the grocery store. Over near the bakery, I was stricken to my core.

For sale there were hotdog buns, which in and of itself isn't surprising, but one of the packages proclaimed the buns to be "home style."

My mother, for all her many and varied cooking skills (a term I use as broadly as possible) never once made homemade hot dog buns. Nor, for that matter, hamburger buns. I thing the closest may have been the occasional biscuits, but I can't imagine having a hot dog in a biscuit.

These must have come from someone else's home.

0 comments: