Key to Happiness

A lot of people, mostly optimists, consider this to be the best of all possible worlds, and I'm convinced the majority of them don't have to make their own coffee in the morning.

It's some sort of cruel trick that first thing in the morning, when my faculties aren't exactly functioning at their peak, that I need to make coffee. It's not among the more difficult things in my life, as I've seen when I make it in the afternoon or evening, but it's frequently a challenge when I first wake up. My coordination is bad then, unpracticed, asi it were, which doesn't bode well for glass caraffes and playing with boiling water. For reasons unknown, I can't successfully make my morning coffee without making more of a mess than if I were to make a pie crust.

And, it's not like this is something I'm unfamiliar with, either.

I haven't kept track, but I have a hunch about half my burns have come when making coffee. I know that, try as I might, I can't do it as quietly as I should, either, but that may just be because things sound louder without other, masking noises.

There may be something to this Starbucks phenomenon, after all. Too bad for me I'm boycotting them so that I can end up on the "win" side of at least one corporate tussle.

4 comments:

cybele said...

Have you considered setting up as much of it as possible the night before? You know, while you're still agile.

russ said...

My God! People actually look at this thing! How cool is that?

I've tried a few times to set it up the night before, but I've been unhappy with the results. Preparing the water for boiling isn't bad, but that's also one of the easier parts and the only one that should be done the night before.

If I were to put the coffee in the caraffe, I'd lose any credibility as a coffee aficianado. Ground coffee would lose its flavor, it would "evaporate!" Everyone knows the only way to make a decent cup of coffee is to minimize the time between bean and the introduction of the boiling water. Why else are whole beans so popular?

Still, I could start doing a better job of cleaning out the old stuff the night before. I'll try adding that to my list.

cybele said...

I find that fewer coffee grounds in the brew is preferable to less oxidized beans because of a fresh grind.

But yah know, that's just me. I'm not much of a coffee snob. I'm also not much of a coffee maker ... if it's not made, I don't usually drink it.

russ said...

Those grounds usually settle to the bottom of the cup, which I regularly discard, anyway. Or, they add roughage to my diet, something I can always use more of, I guess.