When It Rains, It Drips

We had what can best be described as a smattering of rain over the weekend, less than had been predicted and not nearly enough to loosen the roots of the plants I wanted to yank out of the ground. I'd hoped for more, but it turned out we only got a light drizzle during the nights.

Curiously, and this always happens, while the officials tell me it was at most a quarter inch, every container in the yard had over an inch. I've never figured that out, and I refuse to buy into the whole "sloping sides" argument.

Still, even with all that fractional inch of rain, I was unprepared for how wet I'd get driving to the market yesterday. Timmy, my little car, had tricks I wasn't prepared for.

He's, ostensibly, a convertible. I mention that only because I still can't get the top fastened closed. When I bought him I paid a couple hundred extra for the new top his seller had intended to install. After paying a few hundred more to have someone knowledgeable perform that task, his top was on, was up, and sheltered me from a more substantial rain.

I was told to leave the top up for four or five days to prevent wrinkling, and I left it up for close to a week. Since retracting it from its installation, I've never managed to get it to fasten back up. It comes close, but is about an inch shy of meeting the mounts that will secure it over the windshield.

So, overnight or when rain's predicted, I put the top up as best I can and cover the car with a car cover I  bought for my last car, which was larger. Timmy looks to be wearing a tent in it, but that's okay. I bought a can of some water repellent from a camping store, one that had a penguin on the cover to demonstrate its efficacy, but that doesn't work as well as expected. I guess it supports linux, and that's good.

One thing I've learned about convertibles is that they trap little bits of water in channels even with the top up, typically over the windshield. This water, naturally, slides into the driving compartment when the top's let back down, and I find it refreshing. Timmy does that, too, rewarding me with an ounce or so when I first turn right or left, accelerate or brake.

What I hadn't expected was a steady stream coming from the sun visor, but only on the driver's side.
Unlike "real" cars, my sun visors are plastic and, evidently, rain gets in it through the treated cover and  between the top and windshield. I'm guessing, through the mounting bracket. Since the visor is at least as old and worn as the rest of the car, there's a small rip in the bottom.

And, whenever I brake, the accumulated water inside the visor runs to the hole and freedom, ending up in my lap. The visor, itself, must think it's a baggy because water came out of that damn thing for close to fifteen minutes of driving. Never a lot at once, just a dribble every time I stopped, just enough to thoroughly soak my knees by the time my driving was finished.

There may still be some in there. I need, now, to make sure it's all out, then see about sealing the visor closed. One thing about a car like Timmy, there's always something going on!

0 comments: