Nah, I'm Not Scared

This Halloween has pretty much come and gone now, mostly because I had to shut off the light after running out of candy. I always make a point of trying to count how many trick-or-treaters show up, but usually lose count somewhere between twenty and fifty.

This year started off slowly. By eight o'clock, scarcely ten kids had shown up, and I think there were that many bags of candy that hadn't been opened yet. Then, it got better, and swarms of ten started hitting the door, one after the other.

I don't think many of these groups, who were mostly families, are local, but I don't see the difference. Most of them were dressed (the little girls mostly being rincesses or angels, the boys spidermen), but there were a few swarms of cowboys.

Later on, of course, there were teenage goths in fishnet stockings, and a couple of them, after getting candy, asked for bags. Their old ones, it seems, were full. One got the plastic bag the new phone book was delivered in, and I gave a paper Trader Joe's bag to the other so she'd know I was cool and all that.

One little girl came with her sister, or maybe her mother, who was wearing a heavy letterman's jacket over a push-up leather bra. Nice. Very Halloweeny. When the last kid, who was dressed as a pirate (sort of), wished me Happy Christmas, I decided the holiday was officially over and turned off the porch light. Then, I released Minardi from his confinement in my room.

Then I settled down with the last half-dozen or so Snickers bars and guessed at 150 - 200 kids.

Not my favorite, but one kid had a T-shirt with Arnold Schwarzenegger on it. I'm not sure if it was a Terminator shirt or a Governator, but it made me laugh.

0 comments: