A Victim of Humanness

I suspect I'm like many people when it comes to following the 80-20 law, at least as I understand it and keeping in mind that many refers to twenty or so. This law prevents me, of course, from accomplishing very much because it's much easier for me to live in the future than it is to see most things all the way through to completion.

Take now, for instance.

On my projects list, which never gets all the attention it needs, by the way, I have some shelving ready to go up, some fence repair stuff, and various and assorted cleaning and organizing projects. Instead of working on any of those when I catch a minute or hour of time, I'm planning, wondering about, and researching mortar to build an elevated brick planting area. It wasn't my idea, but my sister took my plan, expanded and changed it, and this is what she came up with.

I'd love to have such a thing. Earlier attempts at growing rosemary and the like pretty much ended in disaster when the dogs discovered the fragrant herbs growing in the yard. The smell, naturally, draws them in and they proceed to do what dogs do on things they find noteworthy, rendering the herbs pretty much useless for human consumption. Those that weren't chewed up, dug out, or otherwise thrashed beyond recognition smell like nothing more than dog piss.

So, an elevated bed might help. Since I'm thinking of only a foot or so high, it's not like they couldn't get to the plants, but maybe they'd give them a pass because there's easier places to go, ones that don't involve jumping.

While I have brackets, two screw guns, assorted levels and hardware components ready to put up the shelves, that project no longer interests me. That isn't to say it's no longer a necessity, just that I've grown bored with it now that it's reached the hairier final step: completion.

The replacement boards for the fence are all freshly painted and ready to go, but plugging in a saw or two and trimming the various pieces to fit must be a herculean task because I'm putting it off. Part of that may be, of course, because cutting the pieces might be inexact or even ruin the perfect plans that I hold in my head. I'm frequently hesitant to pull the trigger and see what the reality is.

So, while things pile up that are almost done, I avoid doing them and concentrate, instead, on what's next.

0 comments: