Morning Dropoff

Six or seven hours ago my morning was interrupted by the unmistakable sound of a car driving on the street with a flat tire. Sure enough, a few minutes later, an SUV (Ute) crested the wash and drove slowly past my place and turned onto the dirt road, where it came to a stop.

Now, some six to eight hours later, it's still there and the only change is that my dogs have stopped barking at it. The right rear tire's sidewall is split open all the way around, so a patch isn't a viable solution.

As much as I gripe about my existence at times, I have to remember to be grateful, too. I'd like to think that for the past several years, at least, losing a tire would only be a five minute annoyance. Other than some thirty years ago, I've always carried a spare tire and a spare, and the only time I didn't was with my first Jeep, the used literal life guard Jeep, that had no place to carry one.

That Jeep, of course, did have a flat tire once, and I remember being stranded on the side of the freeway in the early morning, probably on my way to work, but it may have been later in the day on some weekend.

I don't remember exactly when in our relationship it happened, but I walked off the freeway to a phone booth (!), called my girlfriend (or fiancee, or wife), and pleaded for help. I remember sitting next to the stricken Jeep until she came to get me, feeling completely worthless and close to tears. She told me later that she laughed at the sight ("Poor (boy). You looked so miserable sitting there with your wheel."

I imagine I directed her to tire place I knew about, got the tire changed, drove back to the Jeep, and put it back on.

The point being I've been in a position where a quick fix wasn't available, but mostly just pulled over, used the jack, put the spare tire back on, and drove on my way in a matter of minutes a little dirtier but none the worse for wear. This poor guy, whose SUV is stuck near my front yard, is experiencing a ruined day and while I almost take it for granted, it's much better to be able to be prepared. It's a luxury that I need to be grateful for.

0 comments: