One Man's Trash...

I have a rule: If you find a bag on the side of the road stuffed with ten to fifteen thousand dollars, it's jackpot time! If, instead, you find a nice suitcase with $100,000 run like hell. Someone will be wanting it more than you do.

Today on my bike ride I was exercising vigilance. I spotted the following treasures: a quarter, a brand new wisk broom (with straw, not plastic, bristles), and a half-inch socket. I took the socket, because I'm constantly looking for that size, but that's not the point.

I hear all the time about people finding money on the side of the road, usually about those who turn it in. I usually do that, turn it in, but I've had a nagging desire to be one of the lucky ones who finds a fortune. I have to admit that I'd find the money helpful, and sometimes wish it was my destiny to be so fortunate.

Finding a bag of money on the side of the road is much more likely than, say, my becoming famous or marrying a princess (even, sadly, a Jewish-American one). It would be a minor miracle, but one I'd accept without question. I also think my odds of doing that are similar to my winning the lottery, but may be slightly better now that I ride a bicycle.

A nice big bag of money would be a pain to lose.


Stll in the process of expanding things in BTS which may or may not need it. The writing is a pleasure, unlike in November, and that, too, makes me hopeful. I've heard -- and believe -- that if I'm bored while writing that the reader can't help but be bored when reading. Now that I'm more excited, I'm hoping that will be equally infectuous and maybe something may come of my efforts.

I wish I knew. Anything.

2 comments:

theangler said...

Whenever a character does the unexpected, two seconds later the reader should be able to work out why he should have seen that one coming, unless of course you are writing surrealist fiction.

russ said...

I agree that the motivation should never be a mystery to the reader, nor (worse) completely foreign to the character as presented.

The unexpected is an important part of any story. I'm sure of that.