In Honor of Me

I wonder if it's merely a coincidence that the only two European countries I've slept in are going to be battling it out for the 2006 World Cup.

While it would have been fun for the only two Portuguese speaking nations to be in it so the players could yell at each other and leave everyone else in the world wondering what they were saying, I can't object to an Italy-France game. I'll be rooting for Italy, but not wagering on the result.

It's a good matchup, too, because Italy is wearing Puma jerseys and France is in Adidas. I was considering for a short time looking at the matches that way, by corporate supplier instead of nationality, but too many of the games were being waged by teams outfitted by the same company. It was interesting, to me at least, that while Adidas was sponsoring the World Cup most teams chose Puma. Nike, of course, was there, as was Lotto, but now it's between the warring brothers, and I can hardly wait to see who'll win.

Someday, and it may be someday soon, I'll need to buy some new clothes. It will help me no small amount to know which global corporation makes the better clothes.

0 comments: