Zidane has left the pitch

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be remembered by headbutting someone, but since I've never done that to anyone, it's unlikely. Also, I'm not likely to be remembered very much, anyway, not unless I get off my ass and do something spectacular like be abducted by aliens.

My quadrennial love affair with soccer has gone back into hibernation. This year's Cup was a good one for me because I'd heard of many of the countries. Also, my souvenier is a good one that should last for years.

For those of you who weren't paying close attention, the match was won by Puma. It's now safe to say that their clothing will make you the best.

I didn't know that soccer had a rule that televised evidence is inadmissable, so I expect people who follow the sport more closely than I do will be all over the Zidane incident. There's already calls for the referee's blood, and I expect it to grow over the summer. It's too bad, actually, since while I don't agree with all these replay decisions, the ref can't be looking eveywhere.

Also, I've come to a conclusion. No matter the injury, the best cure is water. Everyone who's down gets it poured on them, on the spot of their complaint. Maybe that's in keeping with futbol's universality. American football players need frequent and expensive care, oxygen on the sidelines, state of the art medical supplies, to ply their craft, but simple water is all that's needed for soccer. I find that very inclusive.

Had I been dreaming of the World Cup since I was four, I'd have kissed it, too.

0 comments: