Day Late, Dollar Short

Yesterday I had a very interesting entry for this thing, and I would have entered it if not for my inability to remember the word vindicated. That happens to me ... regularly, that wanting a word but not being able to recall it, but I don't chalk it up to senior moments.

I'm far too young and good looking to have that sort of problem, but it is annoying.

I blame it not on a lack of ginkgo biloba in my system, although it's hard to believe I have enough of it coursing around in my bloodstream to do much of anything, but on the size of my vocabulary. We all know many words than we use, but I've always strived to use every last one, just to make me look smart.

I considered, as I often do at times like that, getting one of those definition dictionaries that are supposed to solve precisely that problem, but I have my doubts about them. The biggest drawback isn't the expense, although it's not to be taken lightly, but rather I'm not sure that the definition I have for most of these words is adequate or popular enough to be the one listed.

What I could think of yesterday was the word justified, but I knew that wasn't it. I knew the word I wanted was more than that and carried with it the notion of having been doubted in the past and eventually come out on top, but it would have taken a very remarkable dictionary to have let me get from there to vindicated.

In the end, it came to me while watching Olympic boxing and hearing those two guys go on and on about scoring irregularities, as they have for the past week and a half. The only Olympic coverage that isn't focused exclusively on American efforts and shows the countries that NBC made such a big deal over during the opening ceremonies, and all they talk about is what a shame it is that the judges don't see the bouts the same way the announcing staff does. Still, it beats the rest of the "rah rah" coverage and I'd mute it but I want to learn how to pronounce the names.

What I should have done, instead, is get some of that ginkgo biloba stuff or done a sedoku. I've tried one, have no interest in the other, but both claim to keep the mind active and alert. It's just too bad that I can't get those results from doing something I enjoy such as, you know, thinking.

0 comments: