Me, Again

Every time I get all excited about updating this thing and keeping it current, unexpected forces of nature stand in my way.

This latest iteration of annoyance is one I'm blaming on the host of this site. For reasons I can only imagine or guess at, some host information changed that prevented Wordpress from getting in touch with the database that holds all of these very valuable Crenellated Flotsam entries.

Worse, I've been unable to get to the admin functions for my site, which pretty much prevented me from doing anything in the way of maintenance. Now that I've learned how to fix errors in this database, the least I hope for is being able to access it.

Since I'm now using a fancy new computer, I didn't have a working address to administer my site. Oh, sure, I thought I knew what it was, but sometime following the last time I had to get in there and do things, the address changed. It's not likely that I didn't get word of this, but it's certain that I did nothing with the information, feeling it was no big deal and just more spam.

As you can see, I have things working again.

After contacting my host provider through their helpful support and contact us page, the one that goes to a faq and searchable database instead of, you know, letting you contact them or ask a question, I was faced with one of those username and password pages before I could do much of anything.

There's a very good possibility that I had that infomation somewhere, but I was in Santa Monica and didn't have it with me. What I did do was ask them to reset the password and send it to the e-mail address on record. I was pretty sure I knew what that address was, but it wasn't until I got home that I was able to get the e-mail, reset my password, and remember what username they'd assigned me.

And now, for the nonce, I have a whole new set of passwords to remember. One to access my site administration page, which isn't at all where I remembered it being, by the way, and several more to administer MySQL and the databases I've established.

I think I made notes of them all, but confidence is mediocre.

The good news is ... if I stay this excited about posting things, I may get some readers who stumble on me through Google! I say such interesting things...

0 comments: