The Third Person

I have neighbors whom I've never met and who obviously know nothing about me. Oddly, I think about them quite a bit.


You see, it's like this: I use them frequently when deciding things.


Let's say I want something, an event that happens quite a lot as it turns out, that someone else wants, too. We both want it, but only one of us is able to get it.


Since I want it, I have a tendency to think I should be the one to get it. That other person, no matter who they are, probably feels the same and probably ignores my wants, knows nothing of them, or somehow feels more justified in getting it than letting me have it.


At times like these, I try to remember that third person, that mysterious neighbor. I want whatever it is and so does the other guy, but since I'm rather involved in the result, my decision making process is heavily skewed. I want it and, often enough, that's more than enough reason for me to think I should get it.


The third person doesn't care which one of us gets it; he or she couldn't care less. I try to remember that and to use that to assist my own thinking. If some third party doesn't care if I get it or not, why should I?


Unless there's some compelling reason, which is hardly ever the case, it's better you should get it than me.

0 comments: