Dec 13 -- Paying for my Sins


Yesterday I paid my water bill, which I admit isn't the most exciting or interesting of all possible activities. Still, there you have it.

A few days ago I got the bill in the mail and was at first a little surprised and shocked. Not by the amount, which was around $25, but by the bill coming on a postcard with the charge and amount of water used and all that visible to anyone.

Then, by the time Minardi found a spot or two on our way back from the mailbox to home, I laughed at myself. Why would I be offended at having this information out in the open? Sure, utility and other bills had always come all sealed up, protected from prying eyes and I'd grown used to that, but then I started wondering why.

I mean, really, why was I so worried or secretive about my water bill?

There are some things I'm not likely to talk about, but most of those are because of shame I feel. Somehow, though, that feeling of being my business and no one else's seeps into areas of my life where it's not really relevant.

I have no idea how much water or electricity or whatever anyone uses, but I think that's because I've never asked. I don't think anyone else considers that a secret, but it's not one of those things I see a lot of people sharing.

Anyway, for years I paid for water usage online through the Los Angeles Dept of Water & Power website. My current water provider, Bighorn-Desert View Water Agency, has a website where I can do that, but it's a pretty basic website and only takes payments through a third party who charges about $4 for the privilege.

That's not too bad in and of itself, but it also works out to nearly a week's worth of water. I don't necessarily object to paying for the convenience, but not when it's a substantial chunk of the bill.

So, Minardi and I climbed into the Jeep and went to their office, which is only a few miles away. I had a secret plan for doing that, anyway, since when I was there before they had a display of desert wildflower seed packages that you could buy for a dollar courtesy of some local something or other. When I was there to start my water service, I picked up a couple of those packages, gave one to my sister for her new home, and had used the other to seed a portion of my property.

I've been thinking I seeded a very small patch, too small to fully take advantage of the impending flowery beauty, so I thought I'd buy some more and try to do the whole thing all over again, this time maybe correctly.

Also, I needed to pay the bill without that service charge for using a debit card.

As luck would have it, the service charge applies both on the website and also at their office since the payment is processed by the same third party. So, I paid in cash.

Worse, they were evidently out of those wildflower seeds since I didn't see them anywhere. But, in what I may learn to be a constant feature, this month they were selling Bighorn-Desert View Water Agency calendars. I'd love it if each month there was some different one dollar thing I could pick up when I paid my bill.

Well, I sorta had been thinking about getting a paper calendar and this one, from what I saw while glancing at it, looks to have all the days on it. With calendars I like to save the surprise of what the next month will bring, so I didn't look at all the pictures, but I saw that January features a pleasant view of the “Ames/Reche Groundwater and Recovery project,” which, to my uneducated eye, looks like pretty much every other picture of this high desert. There's no buildings, no facilities or pipes or tanks, just some flat land bordered by mountains.

I also noticed that I have photos of a snake and, for some future month, a roadrunner to delight me later next year.

So, yeah, I have much to look forward to. Of course this may mean I'll end up with two or more calendars if I get one for a Christmas present, but it will have no effect if I'm lucky enough to get some warm slippers.

0 comments: