Dec 18 -- Dump Day


It was never on my bucket list, but now I've visited a dump.

In this part of the world there's no trash collection, but us residents pay some tax or other that gives us access to the dump. The other day I received my “disposal use permit,” a wallet-sized bright pink card, along with a sheet of paper describing its use and restrictions.

Roughly, once a week I get to unload 500 pounds of trash at no charge, although to be precise, I get to do that four times a month plus four additional visits. The card has the each month of the year on it written four times, and each time I visit the dump, it gets punched.

My card, now, has one punch.

Yesterday I lowered the top on the Jeep, filled the back with some of the trash I'd accumulated since moving here, and Minardi and I followed the signs to the dump. It's only a few miles, a handful of kilometers, away, and we were there in no time.

At the entrance there's a small building with a woman inside, and every time I've visited it to ask questions, there's been a different one. They've all been really friendly and helpful, but this was the first time I actually waited in line for the green light, drove up next to the building, and waited on the scale.

It just took a minute and after some talk about whether those of us who live here are Landerites (her suggestion) or Landerians (mine), she told me to stop at the scale, again, on the way down after unloading my trash, so the weight of my empty Jeep could be entered into the system.

We made our way past the entrance point, followed the road up the hill (or mountain. I've never been sure about the difference), and once it was out of sight of the entrance shack, became a dirt road.

Minardi, I like to think, enjoys riding on dirt roads as much as I do. There's a lot of them out here, which I use to justify the purchase of the Jeep.

There were some signs directing traffic, separating commercial and septic dumpers from the rest of us, and we kept going up and up the hill. It was a bright, clear day and the view from the mountaintop was wonderful, and there was a sign telling me to wait until directed to move.

There were a handful of trucks stopped a little ahead of me and some guy in a bright, high visibility vest, chatting with their owners. He eventually waved me ahead, pointed to a spot where some trash was sitting, and then proceeded to ignore me.

I parked the Jeep, tossed the bags of trash out of the back and onto the pile, and drove back down the hill, back to the entrance shack. The trucks that were there when I showed up were still there, the huge machines used to move the trash around and crush it were still hanging around, waiting to move the day's additions to the fields of compressed trash that waded around the hilly peaks in the dump.

The place looked pretty much the way I'd imagined, but I was surprised at the number of tires. There were so many of them that they were using some to mark off roads, some to hold signs in place, others piled in cairns of unknown purpose.

I'm in good enough shape that dumping the trash myself wasn't an issue, but mentally noted that with no one watching, I could have gotten rid of anything without drawing any suspicion. I'm not sure I could get away with dumping a body, but maybe …

When I got back to the shack, the woman entered the Jeep's info (which must have included the weight of the dog in the passenger seat) into her computer, wrote the license number on my card, and handed it back.

Then, I was free to go. So, I did.

One thing I liked about the whole process was waiting in line in my tiny Jeep between large pickups filled to the brim, some with trailers holding even more trash, as well as a couple of the huge, commercial trash trucks that show up all over the world. I was dwarfed by them, and my little personal load seemed almost laughable in comparison, but this will be how I get rid of orange peels, used tissues, and coffee grounds for as long as I live here.

And also, of course, those bodies...

0 comments: