The Race Is On

Now that the GOP "debate" has been aired, I've most likely seen our next President in action, giving a one minute press conference.

Last week it was the Democratic hopefuls, and from somewhere in that mess of twenty people, the next US President will emerge. I can't say as I'm particularly thrilled with any of them and none of their names sound right yet with the President prefix.

What happens next, of course, is the primaries. Right now part of my dissatisfaction may have to do with every candidate running as hard to the extremes as possible. In the primary elections, you have to cater to the extreme elements in your party, and it's only when you have the party faithful do you move more toward the center and reason. So, while last week it was all about who hated Bush the most, this week it was all about who hated abortion.

They tell me that the successful candidate will need to raise about $100 million dollars by the end of the year, just to win the Primary. To do that, of course, is a full time job, so I'm thinking most of these Senators, Representatives, and Governors won't be doing hardly anything at all as far as their day job is considered. I guess most partisans are so fond of that "favorite son" thing that they won't mind that their elected officials are going to be too busy raising money to look after their interests.

I think this is a horrible way to select our next President.

The GOP candidates are all white men, as are most of the Democrats. I guess they're all still really good at raking in the money.

0 comments: