Falling Out of Favor

This year I didn't watch the Oscars, but it's not like I missed them by accident. It was easy to give the annual award ceremony a pass this year because of a few reasons, not the least of which is that I hadn't seen any of the films that were up for best picture.

Added to that is my increasing annoyance with most things Hollywood. Now I know that's blasphemy, especially considering where I live, but to be honest if all the Access shows fell off the air I wouldn't even notice. I do watch some late night shows, especially Craig Ferguson's, but I also routinely fast forward through them once the monologue or skits are over and the famous people show up to plug their latest. Whatever movie stars or celebrities think about anything doesn't matter to me one bit.

This year lots of people applauded the return of political speech to the Oscars, and, again, whatever value movie starts have, for me it's not their political persuasion. I happen to agree with them on most of the issues, but it's one of the agreements that makes me cringe when I hear them mention them, sometimes even to the extent of making me wish I held the opposing view.

Anyway, everyone involved in the entertainment industry (the "business") already gets plenty of rewards. From what I've seen, they spend nearly as much time congratulating and fawning over each other as they do actually performing, so they can certainly live a day or two without me. Yeah, a lot of it might be envy, but I performed my job for years and years without having Jon Stewart give me a high five or having those around me break into applause when I completed a program or developed an addressing scheme.

So, I didn't see the Oscars, but was able to see the results the next day and they were as un-exciting as I expected. I did, however, watch Obama and Jindal's speeches, and felt buoyed and annoyed, respectively. It was sorta fun seeing the followers of various websites take credit for the Jindal-Kenneth association, but not as satisfying as it could have been.

I need to get to work and stop this drifting.

0 comments: