Busy Not Writing

I've been doing most everything that does not involve re-writing The Reader's Emporium.

I was invited to join another flash writing group (Dirty Thirty), one that will be writing ninety page plays or screenplays in thirty days. That's half the words of NaNo, but it would still be an enormous challenge for me, mostly because I've never written any plays or screenplays. Since their admission is limited to thirty people and those who fail to finish will take a spot that could be used by *real* playwrights, I think if I do it at all I'll do it in stealth mode.

A good thing, though, is because it's local those who compete will actually meet and swap plays afterwards. There might even be a reading or something.

I wasted yesterday playing with my website. I added a Wiki (in a typical place) but have no idea if I'll keep it. The greater question would be "Why?" I have nothing to put in it, just added it to see if I could. As if that wasn't enough enhancements for one day I added a honeypot for spammers. You can see it here:half-dozen.net/cyberspacecinema.php

What doesn't show (unless you look at the page source) is it includes a phony e-mail address that can be used to catch spammers. My site doesn't get much traffic, but I really don't like what those people have done to the Internet. I'm not too fond of those who write virii or engage in hijacking or DOS attacks, either.

Some writing stuff in "more"


Here's my issue with POV, all the relevant things I know.

TRE starts off (for the first two chapters) in an omniscient veiwpoint, then becomes more closely limited third for the remainder of the book. Those later chapters are all written from Brad's POV, with one chapter from Aleister's.

The early chapters are ones where I, Russ, am telling the story, not any of the characters. Here are my worries:

Does switching POV mark me as a rank amateur? It's one thing to switch between characters, or even from first to third, but I can't recall many novels that switch from author to character.

One instructor noted the omniscient POV and suggested I change to limited third. She hadn't read more than the first fifteen pages (nothing after the switch), but her remarks have merit. Third person is much more compelling, it allows the reader to experience the character and the story, and it's the preferred way of writing now. Now, I'm not at all interested in being hip or popular, but it's obvious the world has changed. Chris Rock would be unsuccessful doing Henny Youngman routines, and who am I to live in the past? Why hobble my efforts by writing in an unpopular, outdated format?

TRE *is* Brad's story, and I guess my decision needs to be based on who will tell it. He's a simple guy and I want to include language he wouldn't use. I think what I'll do is just write the damn thing and let those who analyze writing for a living argue over it. Doctoral and MFA candidates need something to study, don't they?

5 comments:

Voyaging said...

As a *reader*, I never pay any attention to POV. Only if POV starts to confuse or bewilder do I care.

I'd say choose the POV(s) that seem the most "right" to you - to hell with the rest of it - fashion changes every week - might as well start your own.

theangler said...

You probably shouldn't listen to me because I'm unimpressed with "the preferred way of writing now." I gratuitously shift between POV in the first chapter of one of my novels just because I can. It's very clear to the reader what's happening and who's speaking/writing. Even if the reader was confused, that might be okay. Sometimes the reader should have to work a bit. (I say "might be okay" because some very bad writing is confusing. You can raise the bar for reader, not spoonfeed them, and do it artfully, so reader confusion is not something you shoot for, but something that results when a bad reader reads slopily.)

russ said...

I know, I know.

I've never written to please the great unwashed, but I think I use that to give myself a built-in excuse for rejection. I think I have a nagging concern not about being out of date but of ignoring recent developments in the art of writing.

I believe my best course of action is to just write the damn thing.

Editors care much more about POV shifts than readers do.

Janine said...

Just write, Russ... then rewrite. There's no other way to figure it out. Oh, and be sure to tell a good story too :)

theangler said...

re: "ignoring recent developments in the art of writing"

I want to be the one coming up with those developments so people won't ignore me.