Sunny and Pretty Damn Hot

Although it's been sunny and warm the past few days, the ground is still muddy and the street gutters still have standing water in places. I mention that because I was outside and noticed it, and as proof that I did not spend the whole day indoors doing computery and writing stuff.

It's warm enough to wear shorts. The front door is open, directly in front of the thermostat, which is set for sixty degrees. The heater attached to that thermostat is doing nothing, which is much better than more of its death rattles.

I have it on good authority that one of those Southern states (Mississippi? Alabama? Is there a difference?) has a recorded announcement today if you call their government office, one that tells you the office is closed to celebrate the birthdays of Dr. King and Robt. E. Lee, though I may have the order reversed. I consider that shameless, but I sigh and understand the valuable contribution brought to the world by lawyers who never see beyond the letter of the law.

In more computery news, I did a search on Google for "Big Train Show" and was pleased to see my novel shows up on page three! It's last mention is on page twenty-one. The statistical reports from my new website aren't as familiar as the old ones, but it seems I still get some hits. The hits aren't that important, but it's encouraging to know people looking for actual information are being directed to this lame thing.

I used to get quite a kick out of my second novel. In it my main character suffered a grievous injury and had no bandages with which to staunch his bloodflow. His neighbor Vicky did, though, and covered it with sanitary napkins. That got me some curious visitors, whom I picture being somewhat depressed to see the link went to several pages of text. Since later in the book one girl requested an injection of meth in her butt, that generated more visitors, ones I'd suspect have different fetishes.

Things are now much more mundane.


Instead of doing much writing (but I *am* doing some!), I've been playing around with web pages, hoping to update the writing section of half-dozen. I may never be known for my fiction, but I can help others by sharing what I've paid good money to learn.

And rarely practice.

See. The heat of creating drives all else from my head. Or not. I stop creating at awkward moments to catch myself looking for a word or to discard adverbs. Then, I remember what I've read or been taught about how to write dialogue or how to avoid redundancies, and I stare at the page and think.

Staring at the page and thinking has never yet, to the best of my knowledge, gotten me any writing done at all. I need to be seated at my computer (or whatever) and actually be engaged in the process of writing for my unconscious, creative side to emerge. When I'm writing ideas come up, and when I'm waiting for inspiration the most noticeable occurance is my nails and hair get a wee bit longer.

7 comments:

theangler said...

...just type, type it all, let the editor figure it out... (sung to the tune of Calm Like a Bomb by Rage Against the Machine, "my narrative fearless")

Janine said...

Angler's got the goods, Russ. I wrote about this myself on the train this morning. I will never know what I've done until it's written. Books are created over many many MANY drafts. And all drafts are first drafts - it's only matter of how well-informed. The more drafts, the better informed. Keep going! :hehe:

theangler said...

Thank you, Janine! I've been all worried that I'm only able to write first drafts. Now I know that I'm on the right track.

Janine said...

I dug up a great book from my bookshelf this morning. It's called *Revising Fiction* by David Madden. It has an excellent series of questions that lead you through the revision process. It's NOT editing - it's more thematic and structural questions that will help you get thinking about your novel as a whole.
I hadn't looked at it for a long time, so thank you for inspiring me to go find it again. Tell Angler and Voyaging and Daniel too. :)

russ said...

You guys did it, perhaps without knowing, got me back to typing.

In one of my classes the instructor said in her first book there was a word that she wishes she could change. She'd like to go into every bookstore and change every copy to reflect her new reality.

Oh, man. I yearn for the day when any of my drafts have just one word that I'd consider changing. I like, better, the advice of another teacher, the one who said something's done when you wouldn't be embarrassed to have your name on it!

Now I need to buy another book, the one Janine recommends.

Janine said...

Along those same lines of not being embarassed, I've decided that there are 2 types of manuscript drafts. A) those that make your scalp tingle because they're so f--king good and B) everything else. I'm only interested in producing type A manuscripts and I don't care how many drafts it takes me to get there.

One thing that really rang from the Revising book... he asks, "What is the desired effect you'd like the piece of writing to have?" I never thought of it in those terms - writing to create an EFFECT!!! It certainly gave me a new frame in which to examine the draft I'm currently working on.

Janine said...

I meant to also say GOOD JOB on the typing too! Just keep your hands on home row there...