Gasping

It's been brought to my attention that I'm spending a great deal more time lately talking about money, much like a goldfish gulping for water.

It hasn't always been this way. In fact, I can't recall ever talking about money before, never in my life. I've never felt I had enough, but always managed to make it through, so I decided early on in life that it was never as big a deal as I thought.

Also, lacking certain popular genes, dining room sets and bedspreads with dust ruffles have never been a priority in my life. I needed a refrigerator when I first moved out, so I eventually got one after months with an ice chest. In fact, had Cesar not offered his mother's old one, I would have waited for years.

That refrigerator, by the way, was wonderful. The interior was pastel green and yellow, and it had been hand painted pink on the outside. Quite colorful. Also, within a month, the freezer would accumulate so much frost it could scarcely hold one pizza. Oh, how I enjoyed chipping away at the frost! Great huge chunks, thundering off.

That one lasted years, until I got one with an automatic ice maker in a rigged bidding contest. What I liked about that later model was the ice cubes it produced. They were small, the size of my thumbnail. What I disliked was its eventual failure, when it would dump trays full of water into the ice cube bin. Oh, how I dreaded hearing it recycle ten minutes after it had last emptied a load.

My first coffee table was a closet door I'd removed from my parent's home. It sat on wooden crates I'd taken from the liquor store I worked at. It never occurred to me (really!) that anyone would look askance at it. It served my purposes, and I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by people who never held my lifestyle against me.

Now, of course, I worry about money, still. Nothing I do generates any, and I have yet to swallow my pride sufficient to admit I'm wrong and do what everyone else does. It's all my fault, and I know what to do.

There's nothing special about me.



I've gotten some feedback about TRE and, of course, am grateful. The baby kicking incident, again (still?), is unsatisfactory. One would think that, by now, I'd just give it up. Find some entirely different arc for the story, drop my pretences, and just start the whole thing over.

I need to get over myself, get passed my ideas, and give up what I've invested so far. Yes, there's some psychological thing about what we've spent time on having disproportionate, exhalted worth and value, and maybe that's what's stopping me. Would it be an admission of failure to just leave TRE alone, now and forever?

It may be best to move on.

I don't know if Kicker is any good, still see Big Train Show as mostly a disappointment, and may just need to put all this writing stuff to the side for awhile. I had dreams of talent, but so do most people. Wanting ain't having.

I'm convinced I can still craft a great sentence, it's just when putting them together that I forget all I've learned. I enjoy writing, but I think I need to be realistic and put it in the "hobby" category.

5 comments:

theangler said...

It's not so much a question of giving up the baby kicking incident, it's all about making the reader believe what happens after that. You can have Brad kick all the babies he wants, but a character's actions and reactions have to have plausible motivation. Basically, this draft of TRE has all the bricks in it, all you have to do now is mix the cement and stick the bricks together.

theangler said...

Just for the record, RE (now, Some Passion) is in a similar state. I too have a pile of bricks. Cement mixing is my next step also. Daniel's going to have GAWI really done by May 20. Maybe TRE and RE:SP can be mortared together by then? Another deadline? Then we'll never touch these suckers again. We'll see.

Janine again said...

Remember that song by the Rolling Stones? You can't always get what you want.
That's writing in a nutshell.

Janine said...

Get back to the basics - in each story, the main character WANTS something.
Hell, in real life, we all WANT things.
What does Brad, Sid, Russ WANT??? Spell it out. Sid wants a Dinah. Brad wants to get out of running the bookstore. Russ wants to find a job.

NOW - what are the obstacles? Sid is ugly. Sid is poor. Sid is married to another woman. Sid stutters. Sid is mute.
Brad is broke. Brad doesn't have a car. Brad loves to read. Brad can't leave the bookstore because the Mafia are chasing him.
Try some of those scenarios.
WANT + OBSTACLE = DRAMA
Try it...you'll like it.

Janine I swear the last time said...

And while I'm ragging on you, let me just make one more suggestion....
Stop writing for a few weeks and START READING. Start analyzing novels that you like. Analyze films that you like.
Read or watch movies with a notepad and pencil nearby. Identify the want - then start listing the obstacles. Track the chain of cause and effect. Just keep doing it til the pattern imprints in your brain. Every STORY follows the same pattern. Hero wants X, because of Y, must overcome obstacles - succeeds or fails. The end. You're making this much harder than it really is. And I'm not just talking about action driven/plot driven bestsellers. This is the formula of all stories from the Greek myths to the Bible to gasp...a Harlequin romance to the DaVinci Code.