Halfway Home

I'm halfway done with this year's New Year's Resolutions.

A few days ago when the water heater sprung a cute geyser on its top I was unable to wash dishes. So, I pedalled over to Subway to see if the sandwich they sold resembled the good looking one I saw on TV. It didn't, and it cost me fully half of my yearly allotment of eating at nationally advertised "fast food" places.

I debated whether or not Subway did, in fact, qualify as a food fast place. I'm not sure how they feel about it and they don't have piles of ready-made sandwiches the helper grabs and gives you, and a point might be made that they actually construct it for you, but so does Burger King.

Also, in the spirit of the thing, Quizno's would also qualify as fast food, even though I'm rather taken by the Baby Bob commercials.

Anyway, I tried Subway's vaunted Chicken Parmesan and it failed to bring back fond memories of Italy. Now, I have only one to go. I may need to save that for when I'm with some other people. I should have refused to do it this week, too, since there's a perfectly fine fast food place right near the Subway, but I find their food tasteless.

So maybe I'll bust my resolution, but that leaves next year. Maybe I'll reduce it to once a quarter, though that sounds excessive. I'd like to go a whole year and never visit any nationally advertised anything, but I'm not always in a position to do the choosing.

Yesterday my sister treated me to Tito's, which remains one of my favorite places, ever. Even after thirty years, it still tastes the same. I'd recognize one of their chili con carne burritos anywhere.

I'm glad someone doesn't fuck with a good thing.


Thanks, everyone.

0 comments: