Taking Score

Voyaging mentioned something about Google so I did something I do occasionally and did a Google search on my blog's name. I am proud to report that this blog is items 1-10 on the first page.

Here's the searches people have used to find me in the past few months:

foosa 218
foosa animal 57
foosa picture 12
Foosa 10
how to overcome laziness 5
animal foosa 4
crenellated 4
madagascar foosa 4
overcome laziness 4
what is a foosa 4
fossa foosa 3
foosa the animal 3
FOOSA 3
foosa animal picture 3
picture of a foosa 3
A picture of the Foosa 3
What is a foosa? 3
alternate theme 3
when and where did charles flotsam die 2
foosa +animal 2
madagascar foosa? 2
intellectual type word warrior 2
foosa animals 2
animals foosa 2
picture foosa 2
animals madagascar foosa 2
"Foosa" 2
intuitive investigator iq test 2
"Chris Goldstein" 2
vienna sausages for dogs for treats 2
cybele philly 2
heisenberg is speeding down the street and he gets pulled over by a cop 1
griffith park hiking 1
alien abduction blogs 1
bouncy castle 2005 jpg 1
flotsam novel 1

I mentioned foosas, once, back in this entry, and did a Google search on "foosa" myself. I gave up looking for my site after a few pages, so evidently some people are much more dedicated than I am. Those people who stumbled here looking for cures to laziness should take note of that.

I think the people looking up "crenellated" or information about Chuck Flotsam were similarly disappointed.

What's humbling, of course, is that all my pithy and insightful comments, my baring of my soul, and reflections on life in the twenty-first century garner no hits or interest, but I'm still amazed that I can write something and then have it checked out by someone I've never met and most likely never will. It is a pretty cool world, after all.

The most startling thing about my original Google search were the sites or blogs I've never visited that mention my site or one of my entries. I didn't know that happened, and aren't sure if they erroneously consider me an expert on something or if they're mocking me.

In related news, I've had 143 visitors from Afghanistan, my number five country!

2 comments:

The Angler said...

It's not ``how many'' but ``who.'' Those small lit mags I was harping about last December have very small circulations, but the right people read them. So it doesn't matter who big your audience is. The quality of your audience is the only thing that counts. Compare this will my ``why only four people read my blog'' post.

russ said...

That post of yours was the inspiration for this entry, truth be told. I rarely look at my stats, but I do find them interesting.

I mean, really, who would have guessed the foosa thing?

I'm not worried about accumulating thousands of hits, just entertaining those who read this. And, my readership is the envy of all thinking people!

One thing I like about the blogs I visit is the element of surprise. While the more focused ones have their benefits and efficiencies, I also enjoy never knowing if I'll be treated to the description of an outing, someone's take on the plight of the homeless, or a movie review.

If I had to please several hundred people a day, I think I'd wilt under the pressure.