The More Dentists Change...

Yesterday I met my new dental student, who may be more properly referred to as my replacement dental student.

I didn't have any appointments during the previous quarter because of some mixup, and the first thing I heard when this current quarter began was from Shervin, who told me that my case was going to another dental student. I wasn't sure why, but Jun soon called and we made arrangements for an appointment.

After some scheduling difficulties, for which he apologized, he looked in my mouth and through my folder. Another dental student, who reminded me quite a bit of Chris Baty of National Novel Writing Month fame, was there, which doubled my shame, and I spent the next couple hours wishing I were elsewhere, preferably somewhere in the afterlife.

"Are you scared?" I was asked.

"I wouldn't use that word."

"Anxious?"

"More like embarrassed. Ashamed," I told them.

I was told not to worry, that they saw the worst of dental detrius, and that by seeing so much they no longer noticed. That makes sense, since I think humans become used to anything and end up seeing their work as just that. Ambulance drivers, emergency personnel, all are confronted daily with things that would squick me out, but I guess only the more horrific cases make them sit up and take notice.

The "Chris Baty" dental student did say that they'd just attented a lecture where some medico demonstrated that smoking causes as many dental problems as poor care by the patients, and I wisely chose not to point that only of them looks really cool, though (and I wasn't referring to having fuzzy teeth).

Briefly, everything done by Shervin is, for God knows what reason, null and void. Another meeting with the ATP (Advanced Treatment Program) dentists is scheduled for Halloween, which I find appropriate. Nothing is more frightening than dental plans. After a couple hours of having impressions made and my head measured again (110mm width between my ear canals), I was instructed to clean up and leave.

On the way down the stairs with Jun, he told me about coming to America from his home in the Philiipines and being filled with wonder at the sight of a stop light outside his window. His village had none. I may have embarrassed him a bit when I asked if he'd carried match boxes with fighting spiders when he was growing up, but we parted on good terms with smiles and handshakes.

Many people are learning about dentistry, thanks to me. I predict good things for the next generation.

0 comments: