The Clock is Running

With only today remaining for 2006, I have just this one day to complete my resolutions. The good news is I only had one, and I may, possibly, have kept it.

I didn't write a post about it, not one I can find, but I think I wanted to cut in half my patronage of nationally-advertised fast food places, from four a year to two. If so, I may have accomplished that.

Once this year I stopped at an Arby's, and no one would argue that doesn't fall into the category of nationally advertised fast food joints. I splurged a few times at In-and-Out Burgers, but they're not national so I can do that with impunity. Same for Tito's Tacos, though they do advertise locally.

I continue to maintain that Subway isn't a fast food place, but that's because it takes forever for the person behind the counter to assemble what, ostensibly, is no huge task. They don't have to cut the meat or chop any of the accompaniments, not when they're constructing my sandwich, so I can't explain why it takes them so long, but it does. In any case, I only ate there once, so that would only be two for the year, unless I'm forgetting something.

As long as I keep my ass away from McDonald's today, I should be a success. Next year I'll need different resolutions, and since I was so good about keeping this year's I can only wonder why I never made any all the years I was growing up.

I have a couple in mind, but will check around to see what other people come up with. I may borrow a few, may be talked into some, but now that I see that it's possible to keep them, I may be more likely to have them. I don't know what would be a good number of resolutions to have, but I've proved I can keep one so I'll want more than that.

Which is all to say, I'm open for suggestions. One thing I've learned is that I'm not very good at running my life, so all the bots that review this site may have a better idea of what's good for me than I do.

I just have no idea what they'll be.

2 comments:

cybele said...

I went to McDonalds about a dozen times this year.

I like Egg McMuffins, what can I say?

russ said...

I used to love the double cheeseburgers, so I can hardly blame you. I'm not sure why I avoided them, either, so it may not make next year's list.

Pauline Kael, I think, once wrote about Big Macs and her point was that nobody confuses them with hamburgers. They have their own distinct taste, an entity unto themselves, and you can like them without even associating them with any known or normal food. I knew a guy who got a craving for Jack in the Box tacos a couple times a year, and they're another foodstuff unto themselves.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have Egg McMuffins for breakfast.