Democracy Rocks, Man

I did not get run over on my way to the polling place so I've little exciting news to report. I put that little sticker you get on my bike, so everyone can know how lame I am. I was excited to see my dad was still registered. For over ten years I've been trying to convince them he's dead.
And, out of state.
And, last registered in Minnesota.

Turns out Ohio isn't the only place that permits you to be registered in more than one state. California Rocks!

Each year I plan on checking my sample ballot, marked with my entries, against the results and see if I pass or not.

..Noveling..

Hmmm. Something's not right this year. I think it may be the time change, but I'm too lazy to see when that's happened on years past. I'm groggy and tired and uninspired and it's been a challenge for me to get worked up. I polished off one chapter, a sad one with far more exposition and recounting of boring details than one would expect, and got a start on Chapter 2. It was much more fun writing once Dina showed up, but I continued telling. I don't know why I'm in such a hurry, maybe it's to get all this crap out of the way so I can get into the story.

For the first time ever I'm fairly happy with the dialogue. I may pull down my excerpt and put up one from Chapter 2 that makes me look better. I've not been online much today, not feeling much like it. I guess once I get into a groove I'll be more talkative. I've little to relate at this point.

4 comments:

theangler said...

I voted twice in Ohio alone, doesn't seem to have helped the good guys though.

theangler said...

I'm doing a lot more "telling" in this NaNovel than I have in my previous novels. My main problem is not writing dialog, but not not writing dialog. I'm trying to only include the absolute essential dialog. Sometimes I wonder if a conversation goes on for more than a few pages, then am I really lapsing back into essay writing with quotation marks?

lauren said...

lots of us returning folks are struggling this year. just can't find the motivation. hoping it will find me. and soon.

may have to change to a different story... hmmm...

russ said...

Oh, I'm not writing *good* dialogue. I'm including lots that needs to be pruned, but the language and voice feels decent. I've never been one to even write a page of dialogue, I usually just use snips, a few exchanges. Otherwise I think I'm sneaking into screenwriting!

and it IS hard to get fired up. I know it will get better once I got a handle on my story...which may need to change too. Not sure yet what the tone or mood is.