That Funny Feeling

Tuesday, before I slit my fingertip open in a careless, regrettable accident, I bought a hard drive for one of my computers. I haven't installed it yet and can't remember why I thought I needed it, but it was a good price.

Maybe I can use it to resurrect my old e-mail.

When I got back from the store I saw that they had a special on notebook computers, and ever since seeing that I've been looking them up online. I have a laptop now, but it's old and can't run these latest whiz-bang operating systems. It can connect (slowly and laboriously) to the Internet and my other computers through a wire, but it's gotten to that age where the battery can't keep a charge and needs to constantly be plugged in.

Those are all excuses, mind you, because it does what I insist a laptop do, which is record my typings so I can transfer them to a "real" computer.

Then again, with this injured finger, typing anything right now is a painful reminder of my idiocy.

Anyway, back to the laptop. The day I saw that ad, after returning from the store where it was on sale, was also the last day of the special price, which was a great one. Since then I've been trying to locate a comparable or better deal, but with no luck. As the days have passed, I've once again been reminded of a funny feeling, that of impending purchase.

This getting a new laptop keeps nagging me, and a good reason for that is I'm convinced that I could successfully complete the purchase. I know what to do when it comes to buying laptops, so I expect I could carry the transaction off with ease, but then I keep remembering that I don't need one. Not right this minute, anyway.

The only way I can describe it is that I have feeling, much like destiny, of having to buy a new laptop. Part of me "knows" it's going to happen, and that part can see me eagerly opening a new one, reformatting the hard drive, and installing everything to get it working just right. If the past is any gauge, that part will win, too.

The other part of me, the less-used rational part, insists that it would be a huge expense that I can't afford and have no need to satisfy. Today that part had a slender victory and kept me from going to Fry's, where I know it would be doomed once I walked in the door.

So, even though I don't need one and can't afford it, I have a feeling that I will soon own a new laptop, and I don't know how to get rid of that feeling except by buying one.

0 comments: