Tennis Balls

Here's some practical advice for a change.

This last weekend I traveled to the desert and checked my oil before I left. It took a quart, but I remembered my friend Rudi's trick from years ago and wished I could check my oil more easily.

Then, after I got back, I went to Vons to get milk and some things to drink. There, in the parking lot, was a tennis ball, which I picked up while filling the big five gallon water bottle. When the bottle was full I lifted the hood of my car and found a place to wedge the tennis ball in.

That is Rudi's trip, his legacy to us all.

Whenever you need to check your oil, just wipe the dipstick on the tennis ball. This is so simple and great it hurts. Also, it impresses hell out of those guys with the muscles (who are also good with their hands) who populate the car fixing places.

Just make sure to put the ball somewhere innocuous (is that the word?), and wedge it in tightly!

0 comments: