How I Think

Most people tire of me quickly, and I have a good excuse why that is. It's not what you would think, the fact that I whine all the time and am rarely happy, that's just what they say, but I think they're just trying to be kind. To let me down easy. To assuage their own guilt.

The thing that drives most people around me crazy is that I'm very much at home thinking conceptually.

Let's say I'm with a woman and there's a pause in the conversation. She says something about the chair she's in, and I start thinking about chairs. Then, about different chairs and what it is they all have in common. I've gone from the brocade chair she's in to the idea of a chair, and she has no idea.

Then, I take an even higher, less specific, view and begun wondering about furniture. How did the cave man (one of my favorite things to think about) get from rocks to large rocks, that would serve the place of love seats or sofas? Furniture is fascinating, but it doesn't take me long to get even more abstract and wonder about things in our homes, possessions, and things in my house and things in houses that I can't have.

"What are you thinking about?" she asks.
"Your breasts," I say, if I'm truthful and need an immediate example.

And, really, there's no way for me possibly explain it. It doesn't matter if she looks at me with confusion, with a cold, dismissive look, or simply makes some sound and leaves the room.

I can see how dealing with me is tiring.

6 comments:

corinna said...

well Russ , i dont tire of you, i in fact find you highly entertaining and i am one of the few people who knows why oleander soup should be avoided, but if you really wanted to find out the effect i c ould likely prepare a tasty version! i am a Chef and currently dont sleep quite like most.I understand your train of thought cause i do the same thing, even the breast comment, yeah i dated a coupla women so what of it? hmmm women, the philosopies of women, women in philosophy ayn Rand , freuds thoughts on women why was he such a misanthropic meanie? o.k. im gonna stop now, maybe i need a -nap instead of trolling through your blogs
C

russ said...

Why, thanks corinna! Trolling through my blogs may be a good way to sleep, or may just be too exciting. Well, it *could* happen!

Yeah, I tend to go "up" when I think, then over, and either find or make links before returning to the original, boring, layer of physical reality. I don't care much about the base, physical world, but it's where my feet are so I have to give it that!

Wow! A chef! I've always been fascinated with the magic of cooking. Good luck!

Janine said...

Clearly you were born to be a philosopher, Russ. Isn't this what philosphers do?

wise guy said...

i couldn't even make it through the posting! ha

russ said...

wise guy may be the smartest of us all.

When I was in Jr College (oh, the shame!) and taking all the classes to complete the "breadth requirements":I had to take one in Humanities. I selected an Intro Philosophy course, having no idea what Philosophy was, just needing the credits.

Within two classes I remember thinking "this is what I've been doing all my life!" I changed my major to Philosophy, graduated, transferred to UCLA and took three more years of Phil classes. I was hoping to teach it, but the job I was looking for dried up and I shifted into business and later computers.

I have a very soft and warm spot for philosophy.

Janine said...

I KNEW IT!!! I can spot a philosopher a mile away! Even over the internet ;-)