A Future I Will Witness

Unlike flying cars and a reasonable government filled with decent people, which I doubt I'll live long enough to witness, one future mystery only requires me to keep breathing in and out for four more days, and I think I can do that.

Yesterday, pedalling madly back from In-and-Out after seeing Snakes on a Plane, I saw in my neighborhood some of those temporary no parking signs. They were threatening cars to be towed away if they were sitting on the street Monday, from six in the morning until six at night, but no reason was given.

The first thing I thought of was a movie shoot, since those frequently mess up traffic around here, but I'm not so sure. They did the same thing about five years ago when they resurfaced our streets, and that was my next thought.

That disturbed me. The orginal paving, as far as I know, lasted for probably fifty years, though there was occasional patches. The work done five years ago was more of a black slurry and, while it made the street look new, didn't really do anything. Oh, sure, it let us see who failed to abide by the restrictions by leaving telltale tire tracks, but it did nothing to strengthen or repair the road.

I likened it to makeup.

Anyway, today I rode down another street and saw they had the same sort of signs up, but these were for Wednesday. Later today, I found they'd erected another Wednesday sign on the streetlamp right in front of my home, so something's definitely afoot.

Incidentally, Snakes on a Plane is, I think, the only action flick I've ever seen in a theatre, and it was both better and worse than I expected. And, I don't count my trip to In-and-Out as one of this year's two trips to nationally advertised fast food places, as I don't think they're national. It was, however, the first time this year I've been there, since I can't afford to eat out.

The hamburger (3X3, animal style - my first!) was tasty and life-threatening, the movie was one I was glad to participate in, and the reason for the local street closures a mystery yet to be solved.

0 comments: