...Three Days Later

...speaking of shopping...

Earlier this week I went to the grocery store, a not uncommon event, and got depressed as soon as I got in my front door. While I'd loaded up my bike with all I could carry and had enough food for a week or so, I was unhappy. There was nothing I wanted to eat.

Usually when I get back I can't wait to tear into something, even if it's M&Ms. This time there was nothing in my bags to reward either my cravings or my soul. But, since I'd done my shopping, there was little to do except suffer and hope to shop better next time.

As it turned out, next time was the following day. The one thing I needed was cereal, a habit I picked up last month thanks to some rice crispy type cereal. My box of Uncle Sam Cereal was empty after having delivered less than the listed servings per box. This isn't unusual for me, since I have lot of mass to maintain.

I'd picked up Uncle Sam Cereal for two reasons. One, it's wheat flakes, which I like much better than corn. The US, I've read, is making corn (a historically minor crop) into just about everything and farming it like mad. Also, I have fond memories of being home ill from school and eating Wheaties.

Anyway, while increasing my cred in online message boards and making me sound patriotic, I needed more cereal. With that in mind I rode back to the store yesterday and came home having forgotten what I went for. The good news is I have some things I care to eat.

Today I returned for the third time in four days and got some new organic cereal ("Buy one, get one free!") that calls itself Golden Wheat Flakes Medley with Flax or some such thing. Not a very catchy name, but since I wasn't about to buy just one thing I loaded up on toilet paper and paper towels.

Oh, and some M&Ms. I expect them to be cranking those out now that The Scream has been recovered, though I have no idea if anyone will win the promised two million of 'em.

1 comments:

Sarah Wagner said...

Russ, please check your email.

Sarah