Mounting Excitement

The race is on!

I've narrowed down the problem to one of three things. Having done that, I'm sure the real cause will never be known, but I can take solace in knowing it's none of the three listed below.

1) I'm weigh too much (or carry too much weight)
2) I didn't install it right
3) Bicycle tires wear out more quickly than I might like

Whichever it is, my rear tire is falling apart, and I'm expecting a blowout any day now. A few months ago I had to replace the inner tube (yes, I'm using *those* kind) and I thought I did that simple task well enough. In the past week or so, however, I've noticed a repetitive thump when I ride, much like I would feel if the tire was underinflated and the valve was hitting the ground.

The tire is not underinflated, but the sidewall is coming apart.

So, I ordered some new tires through the Internet, and they should be arriving in about a week, I guess. In the meantime, I feel as if I'm riding a ticking bomb.

I'd like to think that the problem is because I've overloaded the little crate I sometimes carry on the back with too many heavy items, but it's just as likely that me, riding alone, is too much weight for the poor rubber to handle. Or, I somehow managed to screw up putting the tube in when I replaced it. Or, best of all (as far as my ego in concerned), maybe today's tires are so much better that they wear out more quickly than they used to.

My hope, of course, is that the new tires arrive before I blow the old one up. I'd not ride at all, except both me and the dog will soon need food, and Minardi really doesn't understand my reluctance to ride off and get him treats. It's come down to either chancing the tire or hunting squirrels.

Those new tires better get here quick!

0 comments: