November 18 -- Shed, Arise!

November 18, 2012

Shed, Arise!

The clock says it's almost 0630 the sun is just now edging over the horizon,and I hope that event will nudge my thermometer up from the forty (5) that it now reads. It's not supposed to be warm today, but I might be outside working and that should keep me comfortable.
One of the unexpected features of this property was a homemade shack, about 4x8, which would be very useful for storing a lot of my boxes, especially the ones full of books that there's nowhere to put inside. I have a lot of books.
Perhaps the biggest reason the shack wasn't mentioned in any of the real estate hype and description the way similar structures were on all the other offered lots is that it's laying flat on its back. At sometime in the past I'm guessing it was blown over, but it doesn't seem to have suffered any damage.
It is, however, heavier than hell, and I couldn't budge it to save my soul.

My Jeep, however, has no soul, and I'm hoping that might make all the difference.

I've thought about getting that shack standing up for the past two weeks and have decided I really should have spent any attention at all in those physics classes I had to take to graduate. The way I see it, it's a question of friction
While I'm pretty confident that I could attach some ropes to the exposed bottom of the shed and, using the Jeep, drag it around, that's pretty much exactly what people mean by re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Sure, it would put the shed in a different place, but it would still be flat on its back and not particularly useful. Yes, I could drop stuff in the doorway and climb in and out of it, but I want it standing up, proud and filled with my crap.

So, off and on since I've been here, I've been thinking about how to accomplish that.

What I've decided to try is to screw a couple eye bolts, long, strong ones with those circles on the ends, above the door opening, up near what would be the very top of the shed. In technical terms, on the front near the apex of the roof. Then, run a rope through them, tie it to the Jeep, and by easing the Jeep forward, tilt the shack up and have it end up on its feet.
That's the positive mental image I'm practicing.

The thing is, though, until I actually try that, I don't know if it will work.

The way I see it, one of three things are likely to happen:
  1. As hoped-for, the shed is pulled to its feet and there is much shouting and rejoicing
  2. Instead of standing up, the shed is pulled apart
  3. Instead of standing up, the shed slides around on its back

Thus, my conclusion that this will be a matter that friction ends up deciding. What will be the path of least resistance for a shed on its back when it's asked to move?

Of course, it's also likely that the eye bolts will pull out. Only time will tell.

0 comments: