November 9 - Internet Day

Friday, November 9, 2012

Survived the wind and am ready for more, which is good because I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Right now, it's as calm as it usually is, but the day is early and much can happen.

Yesterday's big news, of course, was hearing from my sister, who called me at about a quarter to four. She's out of the hospital (yay!) and living in the apartment with Rachael, but the best news was how happy and chirpy and good she sounded! Yeah, I was very worried about her, but it seems she's doing well and, more importantly, going to do fine.
Also, although I'm told he cried for a day, Mika is doing fine as well.

A little bad of disappointment this morning when I went to check the weather: my radio has stopped working. Why this would happen, and happen now, is a troubling mystery. It was fine yesterday (so it survived the move unscathed), but this morning … nada. I'm a bit worried, being me, about the outlet somehow screwing up or screwing the radio up.
Yes, I'm troubled about the electricity here even though I don't think I have any cause for it. Just general, perhaps residual, nervousness.

But that's not the point.

Things to do today:

Around ten or so, Michael should show up to hook me up to the Internet through a satellite. We talked a bit about wireless connectivity, but the more I think about it, the less important getting that to work is. As I was lucky enough to have mentioned to him, all I need is one ethernet port and I'm good to go.
I don't expect any trouble swapping the cable or with running a sneakernet for a little while.

I'm down to four or five kitchen boxes, at least inside the house, and one last bag of clothing. Those need to be unpacked today.

...speaking of electricity, I want to mount the new Belkin octopus/surge protector thing under the west window, but I'm not sure Michael will find it acceptable. Also, I want to put an extension cord behind Stefania so that outlet will be usuable.
I still find it weird that the surge protector I used on Ramsgate doesn't work no matter where I plug it in. Why is electricity giving me problems here? First that, then the radio. Hmmm...

But, the TV is working fine.

0 comments: