November 25 -- Beds and Trailers

November 25, 2012

Beds and Trailers

Life in the desert continues, of course, with many of the same ups and downs that mark life in the big city. As they say, no matter where you go, there you are, which is sorta another way of saying you can't go anywhere without taking yourself with you.
Although I'm in a new place with new opportunities, rewards, and challenges, I'm still me. Even if they're not in a nicely (or poorly) labeled box, my virtues and flaws are still with me, but that's okay.

State of the home:

As can be imagined by now, this little place is livable, at least by my standards. Many, if not most, of the things I need are available to me and sitting in places that I'm guessing will be their new homes. My needs, in other words, are pretty much met and it's just down to wants.
That only took me about three weeks, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

There is about four or five times as much stuff outside as inside, and just about all of that crap is still in boxes, although none of the boxes are sitting on the ground any longer. No, they're up on tables, covered by a tarp or inside the shed, stacked on top of each other.
To be fair, over half of those boxes are books, which I still have no idea where they'll end up, or computer stuff, including old DOS stuff and games. At one time, I thought I might end up selling them on eBay, and I still might try that.

The inside is still cluttered with things wanting homes. I have fantasies of putting them all away, but one thing or another stands in the way. Like, I feel I need to have a working computer to set up the computer work area.

While I have most of the big shit done, there's still tons of niggling little loose ends gnawing at me and making sure I stay stressed. Most, if not all, of these things pretty much require me to make decisions, something if I was ever good at, is a virtue that's fallen away.

Like, for example, a bed.

I've been thinking about this since before moving in. I had a bed in my old place, of course, but, naturally, the process of having one here is one of those things that I'm complicating quite beyond what's necessary.
First, I really liked my old bed, but it was an old one from Ikea before they went to selling them here in US sizes. I moved the bed, which is all wood and sitting outside, but was talked into abandoning the mattress. The bed was a bit larger than a standard full size but smaller than a queen, and is too large for my current situation.
That's okay: I don't mind downsizing. A twin bed will do me and Minardi just fine (he said hopefully).

And here's where it starts getting complicated or, more truthfully, where I start complicating things.

I've looked around the Internet and have found several beds that will do just fine. Getting them out of the store and up here to my home, however, makes me pause and think, something that's rarely good for productivity or, as the kids say, getting things done or even over and done with.

I have, I guess, three or so ways of handling this.

One, and this was my original plan, is to buy a small utility trailer for the Jeep, one of those 4' x 8' metal frame things that I can use for hauling things around. I even found one, a bright purple one!, and was on the verge of buying it when I started shying away because of the $1000 it would cost.
If it costs, say, $20 to rent one, I'd need to use it some fifty times before breaking even.
Now, I once had plans of building all sorts of additional structures, patios, sheds and the like, up here, and a trailer would be very helpful if not downright necessary for hauling all the lumber up here. Also, there's still the matter of that loveseat, or couch and loveseat, that my niece wants me to take.
I'm sorta putting that off. The loveseat I would love, but I can't see that I'll ever have room for the couch. In any case, getting that loveseat up here means moving it the hundred miles from Murrieta back up here. That could be done with a trailer.

To see how much it costs to rent one of those little utility trailers, I looked on the U-Haul site and they run around fifteen dollars. I'm sure with taxes and all the other, extra charges, that would come close to the twenty bucks I figured. The thing is, according the fine print, they said something about the vehicle (in this case, my Jeep), having to have a hard top.
My Jeep only has the soft, convertible top, so I'm not even sure at this point if they'd let me rent one. It may be something that's required, but that the people at U-Haul wink away, or it may be a real sticking point.

If I owned my own trailer, like the purple one I wanted but am sure has already been sold, that wouldn't be a problem.

Also, my Jeep is the smallest model and can only tow about a thousand pounds, total. Having made the trip up here a few times now, I can imagine it would be long, slow haul up the mountains to get here. I already have to be in the slow lane to let the zippier passenger cars speed past and have to downshift to make it up the steeper parts, but have no idea how slowly I could make it up the mountains bringing a few hundred extra pounds with Minardi and me. My ego doesn't suffer when I'm passed, but I hate holding up traffic. I look in the mirror and imagine how annoyed everyone is at me, and I don't like that feeling.

To get back to the bed, Ikea has one that would be perfect and a perfect fit.

The nearest store, however, is about a two hour drive away, each way. That doesn't bother me, but (if nothing else) adds about forty or fifty dollars in gas alone to the cost of the bed.
Ikea will happily ship the bed, mattress, and supporting slats to my home address for around sixty dollars, but if I had a trailer, I could also buy a bed and mattress at a closer place, maybe even cheaper. Just ten miles away, just down the hill, there's a furniture place, and I think there's a couple more within twenty miles or so.

If I get the Ikea bed shipped, that's one less thing I need a trailer for, and for some reason, I consider that important.

So, now, instead of worrying about beds, I'm back to worrying about trailers. Everything is dependent on something else.

Trailer pros:
I get to move five to six hundred pounds of stuff by myself, when I want
I could haul my garbage to the local dump
I'd own a trailer, which is sorta cool

Trailer cons:
It's a lot of money that I'm not sure I can afford
Slower drives, pissing off more people
What if the purple one isn't available? Do I want a boring black one?

I've heard you can pick up used ones on Craigslist for quite a bit cheaper than the thousand dollars the trailer dealer wants for a new one, but I haven't found one yet. The good thing about the trailer dealer is that they handle licensing and registration and stuff and, since the trailer's new, it would probably hold together for awhile.
Since these little utility trailers are considered by most people who want them to be cheap, I'm thinking most of the people who buy them just have one and hang onto it because it's always coming in handy.

The worst thing, of course, and the most likely to happen, is that I'll order the Ikea bed and have it shipped and also buy a trailer. That would be both stupid and a waste of money, so I can't imagine my not doing it.

0 comments: