Nothing Clever

Eh.

I've been thinking for the past few days of interesting, involving topics to blog about. Today, instead, I'm adding this entry:

I've owned five dogs in the last ten years.
Little Mister : Shar-Pei, died while I was on a business trip, horrifying my sister.
Peabody: German Shepherd mix, bought from animal shelter. Died within a week of parvo. Never larger than my hand.
Boutros: Free replacement dog, taken from a horse stable. He'd been living in a hole under a sheet of tin, so I figured he'd be both healthy and strong. He died within a month (probably parvo). Very smart pup. *Very* smart.
Wooster: Free gift dog from Vet. A woman found a Shar-Pei living in the Ballona wetlands but couldn't keep him. He looked just like Little Mister, but hated other dogs rather than other people. After getting stomach cancer I had him put down. He died in my arms.
Minardi: Free dog from my vet, who felt I deserved a break. He's clever, and is the only dog I've had who lies on his back on my bed. Very rude looking.

Somewhere, Toby and Phoebe may still be around. My ex has them. Cocker Spaniel brother and sister.

3 comments:

cybele said...

It's a huge compliment when your dog sleeps on his back. It means that he's safe and secure.

russ said...

Yes, he's a trusting pup. I especially like how he closes his eyes in bliss when his tummy gets rubbed, too!

sf_lore@yahoo.com said...

almost lost mine to parvo just weeks after they came to live with me. luckily they were both willful, resilient pups and managed to live much, much longer.