Ya basta

The attack in Spain was all over the news yesterday, and it gave me the chills to see two million people out on their day of mourning. I also reazlized that, unlike the 9-11 tragedy, this one made me want to be a Spainard.

There were a few, but not many, flags in evidence. To show their grief some of the cars had black ribbons tied to the antennae, and I really wish we'd done that instead of suddenly marketing American flags that fit in car windows. I like it when a country isn't so full of itself.

Hundreds of thousands of mourners, some with black ribbons painted on their faces or the palms of their hands. There were some Spanish flags, and a few of those had the added black ribbons as well, but it didnt' seem to me to be as ego-driven as Americans usually are.

I'm not knocking the US. I'm just unsure that I'm suited to live in the greatest country in the world. I've always felt mroe comfortable in ones I've visited who aren't on top and who are content with their place in the world.

0 comments: