Shopping Follies

Today I spent about five hours riding my bike to every point of the compass (including two trips against the wind up that little hill I shun), shopping, standing in line (including a trip to the post office), and barely made it home by dark. I got a late start, but that wasn't the worst part: that would be having to go out again to get better gifts.

I am the world's worst shopper, but it's to the store's advantage.

I typically wait until Christmas Eve to do my shopping because that's when the store's are at their maximum capacity and most everything on display shows the pawing of a million unsatisfied buyers. Everyone's grumbling and in a hurry, and that's when I catch the Christmas spirit. This year, since I'll be spending most of Christmas Eve in a car sitting on a freeway (and burning precious gasoline), I needed to complete my shopping earlier, and I did a piss poor job.

When I first finished I was already upset with many of my gift selections. I tried, for a bit, thinking it would repay some people for the crap they've gotten me in the past, but I couldn't make the arguement stick. I have standards to live up to, love to buy, and as our family's adult male model I feel compelled to give good presents.

I rarely do, but I think I do, and that's what matters.

This year...not so much. So, after getting the two gifts I needed to complete my shopping, I hopped back on the bike, once again tackled that hill I avoid whenever possible, and purchased five more gifts. It wasn't so bad (they're all very similar), but it bothers me that I had to do so. My immediate family may wonder why they're all getting more than one lame present (and none as good as the ones I consider myself famous for), but it's the thought that counts.

If I don't get around to making an entry, I wish everyone who reads this the very best of holidays. May you all be blessed with someone like me who tries to purchase your love, and a special thanks has to go out to Inkomi, Google, Yahoo, and MSN, whose bots keep this blog alive.

I kid. The human visitors are my favorite.

And, I update! I'm doomed.

0 comments: