Non-Sonic Youth

I wonder what's coming next and figure it's at least twenty years out...

Went out to a club the other night and it's true: things aren't the way they used to be. I've been noticing it more and more lately, the difference between what I remember it being like when I was twenty and what I see now. Maybe the wildness is restricted to raves (I've never been), but nothing I've been to in the last few years approaches the clubbing of my youth.

Nobody is getting drunk any more, and everyone is passively standing around listening to kick-ass music with an "entertain me" attitude. Are people now less capable of being part of what's going on around them and content with phoning and messaging each other about what they see? When did life become a spectator sport?

If going out and dancing and getting crazy is off the table, if traditional entertainment *has* become something only to be enjoyed from the outside, then something new will have to come around. I hope to hell that something will emerge that can get people back into living instead of watching. The clubs of the seventies and eighties may well have run their course and a new form of entertainment is needed. I just hope it isn't a computer-driven electrodes in the brain virtual reality thing since I think that will drive us further from each other.

While I can't do it myself any more, I long to see someone stand up and fall across the floor into a wall.

2 comments:

lauren said...

this is precisely what i hate about the music scene in san francisco. it's like everyone's gotten so concerned about looking and acting cool that they can't actually enjoy the experience. crowds form in huge horse-shoe shapes around the front of the stage - no one dares get too close. and they stand arms crossed, feet refusing to even tap as i sway in my spot, eyes closed wishing it was how it used to be, wishing i could feel the excitement of the crowd as well as the beat. but it's not like that everywhere. in san jose, devoid of culture as it may be, people actually dance to live music. they yell and scream and cheer. i miss that. if only we could get decent bands here.

firefly said...

sadly, i can't help but agree with you. i dislike the bar scene too because of the attitudes that people have when you walk in. i always thought it was about having a drink and chatting with everyone! i've had that before. *shrug*