Sunny Morning

I made a mistake yesterday when I was talking about being a misanthrope.

I think what I meant was lycanthrope. Pretty common error.

When I was out and about yesterday watching people buy coffee and walk around I had to admit that I didn't hate anyone, no one at all. I don't think I honestly hate anyone (except for myself at times), but that's probably a character flaw more than a virtue. I mean, lots of people do things that annoy me, and there are plenty of assholes out there, but I don't hate them for it. Maybe I just don't know what "hate" is.

Also, it's hard for me to be mad at people who do the same things I do (or have done). It would be easier get pissed off at that guy who cut me off if I hadn't ever done that to someone.

Still, that's not to say I don't still get short with people who strike me the wrong way. I think I have less tolerance for ego than I do for anything else. That and honesty. I have trouble taking seriously those who believe their own bullshit and who can't see how lame we all are and laugh at themselves.

2 comments:

lauren said...

misanthrope is a tough word that is often misunderstood. according to dictionary.com, it is someone who hates OR mistrusts humankind. now, like you, i wouldn't really say i hate people, but they do, on the whole annoy and terrify me, so the second definition pretty much holds. especially since my feelings are most often applied to mankind as a whole, not specific individuals. but then there's this:
Anthropophobia- Fear of people or society.

or maybe this:
Xenophobia- Fear of strangers or foreigners.

one of those is probably my best bet. or both.

funny though. unlike you i find myself less tolerant of faults or actions i share with others. guess i'm just directing my anger at my own shortcomings outward.

cybele said...

I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon of people annoying me. Which probably isn't misanthropy (is that a word?), more like curmudgeon or maybe just simply crab.

I think I gave up on tolerating people a long time ago because I seem to have gotten this attitude that if I can manage to follow the rules or bathe regularly or whatever, then everyone else should be capable.