To Sleep, Perchance To Be Rudely Wakened

I'm sure this happens to other people, too, but I don't remember hearing about it.

It seems most of my dreams are boring ones and usually involve me driving around somewhere in one of the cars or bikes I've owned (bicycles) which are in need of repair. Often it's the brakes that aren't working, but I know how to handle that even though no one else does. I struggle with the car (or bike), making my way around, limping to my destination.

Those dreams, from what I can recall, have a beginning, middle, and end.

But the more exciting dreams never get finished. Whether it's one of my frequent nightmares or the rare and desirable good ones, as soon as the dream gets to a big scene I wake up. I'm told that you can't die in your dreams without dying for real, but this waking up just when things get interesting bugs me. I'm not in any danger, it's simply that things are going to start happening and - wham! - I'm sitting up in bed.

It's as if I'm too excited to sleep, and that pisses me off. Last night I woke up just as I was about to get caught covering up a post-dated check at work. The acctg dept was just approaching my desk (we'd been flying around, landing on futuristic freeways earlier) and there I was, in bed with Minardi.

I guess that saved me the humiliation of being chewed out by some VP but the same thing happens if I kiss someone. I get to the point of the kiss, sometimes complete it, and I'm kicked out of the dream and back into life. Those dreams, incidentally, are never ones I can pick back up, try as I might. The ones where things are most desperate, where no one understands me or wants anything to do with me, the ones I have all the time, I pick up without a second thought. I may wake up in the middle of some frustrating encounter, but when I return to sleep I can be right in it.

This being too excited to sleep is just silly. It's as if I'm teasing myself, and I don't like that at all.

3 comments:

lauren said...

happens to me every time! hate it, except when it's a bad dream, when i'm just as happy to have it over.

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

I just dream about food most of the time.

russ said...

Joz? That's a new one.

Most of my dreams about food have to do with preparing it, which is all labor, or sitting at a table and waiting to eat it. I don't think I eat very much in my dreams, but I get to see a lot of food there.

I wonder why I can't even grant myself *that* simple pleasure...