WTF

Today I'll try harder to be coherent. I have a reputation to uphold, after all.

Last night I had a dream so boring I woke up on purpose, I think. It's one thing to have a drab existence when I'm awake, but if there's nothing to be gained by sleeping I wonder why I even bother. Awhile back, I came up with my sleep <--> eating peas theory, which I still like.

I wish sleeping, instead of being a necessity, were something like eating peas, something I could do whenever I wanted for as long as I wanted, but that was it. There are times, usually when my life is on an upswing, when I hate getting tired and don't want to sleep at all. During those times, nothing would be better than being able to stay awake and get things done. I hate it when I have to give up one-third of my life to just lying around, refreshing my brain and muscles, or whatever the hell it is that sleeping does.

Other times, I wish I could sleep all day, then all night, and maybe the next day, too. This is rarely because I'm tired and most often is because I'm afraid of life and facing whatever it is that's going on. Sleep is an excellent way for me to hide from the world. The trouble with that, though, is that if I take an unnecessary, extended nap in the afternoon, then I'm up all night, when my thinking is its most dire.

I guess that's my punishment for napping, but I'd rather not have one.

Last night I dreamt I was reading. It would be hard to get any more exciting than that, I realize, but there's more. When I woke up I thought the book I'd been reading had a wonderful title, and wrote it down so that I could remember it. I sometimes do that and invariably wonder later WTF was I thinking. Things which impress me in the dream world rarely seem so hot the next day and I admit the title of the book strikes me just that way.

Try Two Times

Okay, it's alliterative, but isn't anything that would inspire any waking person to read it.

...sigh...

3 comments:

cybele said...

I once had a dream where I wrote a wonderful song and I showed it to everyone and they agreed it was the most beautiful song in the world.

I spent a great deal of the dream looking at the sheet music of it and when I woke up, I thought I could write down some of it.

But then it struck me that I don't know how to read music, so I couldn't imagine that I could write the world's most beautiful song so I just let the dream be - because in the end, it wasn't about the song.

(Jeeze, I hope it wasn't.)

russ said...

That's one of the sadder things I've heard, but "sad" isn't the word I want to use.

I learned to read music when I was a lad, studying the clarinet, but I can't do it now. All I can recall is FACE and Every Good Boy Does Fine and what the notes look like.

Too bad about the song. You could have been a star!

lauren said...

sounds to me like the title isn't a title, but a message. a directive.

is there something you need to try again? well, besides marriage, of course, but i'm guessing you might have already done that, given the chance.