June...June! Already?

Okay. Summer's officially here. I don't expect to be going to the beach much this year, not with this body. Not only would I embarrass myself, I'd also embarrass myself. Then again, I think it would be soothing to lie around reading.

I remember making the point once that one of the enjoyable things about going to the beach was that it allowed me to lie around and do nothing, but was something to do. If I told people I went to the beach, they accepted that as being an activity. It was much better than saying I did nothing.

So maybe I will go. Come to think of it, I should give a rat's ass what anyone thinks of a middle-aged beached whale. Nobody is there for my sake, they won't even notice me. I could get some reading done, could try writing, and if nothing else can get back in the water, where I belong.

I've heard that the anti-smoking fanatics are trying to stop smoking at the beach. I'm sure they'll win, having hysteria on their side, if not any science. Since I've been around, they've banned fires, pets, and drinking, and our world is a much better place thanks to imposed morality by those who know better.

I've decided the worst phrase in the English language is any that begins "If it saves just one life..." Everytime someone utters that, I know that something else is going to be outlawed or forced on me. Yes, human lives are important, but I wouldn't want to live in a world where we had to save every one of them from every possible calamity. Back before cars were safer I used to bounce all over the back seat, even lying in rear window over the back seat. I wasn't the only one, and I'm sure many children were killed or injured in accidents. But enough of us survived that we have now have a population problem.

Car seats are great, but I wonder if the kids like sitting in them as much as I did climbing all over. Not as many people take Sunday drives any more, or ones on any other day of the week, so it may be a moot point. I guess if I had a kid I would him or her in one, but I don't like being told I have to.

I guess I don't like authority much. I like options and choices that I can make myself.

2 comments:

cybele said...

My sister had a class once where the prof quoted some stats that said that accidents (non-descript ones) were the #1 cause of death for children under the age of 12. This knocked out disease from the top spot.

Of course my sister pointed out that they were ACCIDENTS. It's not like murder was the #1 child-killer. And wasn't it good that all these diseases that used to kill children were under control?

I guess this guy just didn't want ANY kids to die. But accidents includes a lot of stuff, falling off of roofs, bike wrecks, drowining, shark attacks, lightning strikes, tornados, floods, housefires, car accidents ... most caused by stupid things, but few caused by the same stupid thing.

russ said...

I know. Nobody, not even me, wants to see a bunch of kids die. But some people are going to die and some of those are going to be kids who do things.

The rate for automobile related is around 4 per 100,000 kids, which isn't that high. Tough for those families, I admit, but it's not horrendous.