Dunno

I guess things are back to normal. My ribs sitll hurt, and my head does, too, but I'm getting better I guess. More importantly, someone else's hospital visit was successful beyond my wildest expectations. It's so good to see people happy and recovering quickly.

I'm learning about buses, but mostly because of necessity. They go through many areas of town, distinguished mostly by the shops that appear alongside the roads. Huge sections of strip malls featuring the same stores everyone has everwhere in the world (Why in the world would anyone shop at them?), then in priveledged areas stores which provide nothing but services or things desired by those higher up the Maslow Hierarchy of Needs. No chains there (except Starbucks), though many of the names are familiar.

I'm thinking fifty years old is a good milestone. By now enough things have changed that the world I knew is no longer in existence. People are basically the same (I don't think we've changed all that much in the last ten thousand years), but they want different things now. That's good, that's progress, but the world that shows me isn't one I feel comfortable in.

The other day I counted four out of ten drivers talking on phones. I wonder what's so important in their lives. I saw the majority of the people on the bus and outside walking listening to iPods or Walkmen. I guess their own lives and wants are more important than the outside world, and I'm not sure if I'm jealous or saddened by that. I still don't see the sense in shutting yourself inside your wants, isolating yourself like that. I suppose it's the same reason I like convertibles.

1 comments:

lauren said...

funny, i never used to talk on the phone in the car. now, with my hour and a half each way commute every day i do it all the time. partly because i get bored driving the same route back and forth every day. partly because it's one of the only times of my day i actually have time. partly because, as busy as i've been, i resent being captive during that time and unable to get things done. chatting on the phone with a friend or catching up with my mom kills many birds with one stone. i get to check something off of my to do list, i get to make use of otherwise unproductive time and i get to relax and have a nice time when i could just be annoyed and frustrated at being stuck in traffic.