Olympics

I wasn't asked, but I'd get rid of many of the Olympic sports. There's just too many and I blame money, mostly people

wanting more of it or the honor and prestige of having their pet sport in the Olympics. It's either money or power

that ruins things for me every time.

I guess it's like dogs. People who (make money) breeding Shar-Peis want to be recognized as being important. So, they

hold little contests, create standards, award points and eventually do the politicking necessary to get their breed

recognized by the AKC. I imagine it's a lot the same with the powerful and self-serving Beach Volleyball lobby.

Anyway, here's a list of all the Olympic events from the NBC site. The first thing I'd get rid of are all the sports

that more properly belong in the X-games. More to the point, and it hurts me to do this is some cases, I'd also

eliminate any sport that has its own championship thing already. Ideally the only time I'd like to see the athletes

compete in their Olympic Events is during the Olympics. That there are world games for track and field and gymnastics

and swimming already is just a sad reflection on everyone's obsession with money.

·Archery - Stays
·Badminton - Sorry. This is a pastime not a sport.
·Baseball - Nope. It has nothing to do with the Olympics.
·Basketball - Nope. They already have leagues and teams and championships.
·Beach Volleyball - No. This is another fun thing to do at the beach, not an Olympic event.
·Boxing - Yes
·Canoe/Kayak - No. This is no sport, either. It's recreation.
·Cycling - Nope. They already have some big race through France. The Velodrome stuff has nothing to do with life.
·Diving - Stays, but only one person at a time.
·Equestrian - Nope. If the rich people who compete in this want to, they can start their own meet.
·Fencing - Stays
·Field Hockey - It's a team sport. I don't think I believe in team sports.
·Gymnastics - Stays, but they should be harsher in the judging. If you fall off, you fail.
·Handball - Two strikes and it's out. It may be a team sport, and it's something I've played. I am not an athlete and anything I've done should be discarded on general principles.
·Judo - No. Wrestling is an event, we don't need every form of melee.
·Modern Pent. - Stays
·Rhythmic Gymn. - Goes. Stupidest attempt to doing something artful, ever.
·Rowing - Stays.
·Sailing - I think it should be just single sailors in little supplied boats. None of this team crap.
·Shooting - Stays
·Soccer - They have the World Cup. This is unnecessary
·Softball - Goes.
·Swimming - Stays
·Synch. Swimming - Goes. Not a sport. Neither are cat shows.
·Table Tennis - Again, this is something I play and I'm no athlete so it must go.
·Taekwondo - Goes (see Judo)
·Tennis - Goes. Don't they have Wimbledon and things like that?
·Track & Field - Stays.
·Trampoline - This is in the Olympics? Not if I have anything to say about it.
·Triathlon - Goes. This is all over the TV all the time.
·Volleyball - Not a sport, it's another pastime.
·Water Polo - Stays. These people never get any coverage and the sport is unknown, so it can stay.
·Weightlifting - Stays
·Wrestling - Stays.

So, out of the original 34 listed sports I'd cut it down to a little over a dozen. This should make it easier for

countries such as Greece to hold the games since there'd be far fewer "athletes" needing venues and pampering.

4 comments:

cybele said...

I think that handball thing is different than you think it is. It's some sort of team sport - a hybrid of basketball and field hockey and soccer.

I don't think shooting should be in there. I don't think destroying things with explosives is ever a sport. For some reason I find archery acceptable.

I like the triathalon, but I don't think it belongs in the Olympics either.

Okay, who is gonna draft the petition to the IOC?

russ said...

I agree with you about destroying things with explosives, but not only are we talking (also) about air pistols (which have no explosive components except in a figurative sense), nothing except paper targets get "destroyed."

The bigger point is that shooting is one of those events where no one can make a living at it, it's pure "amateur" recreation and that, to me, is what the Olympics are all about!

When I was growing up none of the track and field people ever made any money at their sports, either. I like the Olympics to reward and acknowledge those who compete for the love of their sport, not for a living.

Mr. Beer Belly said...

I never understood how horses could be part of a human competition.

russ said...

The inclusion of animals is yet another to get rid of the equestrian events. In spite of what they say, I have my doubts that horses know they're competing, winning, or take much pride in their results.