Blogworthy?

I'm back and already confused.

Should I rant about events and ideas that bug me? Should this be professional in that regard, the kind of blog that people would read for pleasure, or should I continue to explore my tortured soul? I'm not sure anyone's particularly interested in the nature of the demons that hound me (none of them are unique), but I do enjoy baring my soul in sort of a journal. You may not be, but I wonder if I'll ever go back and read these and join the chorus of people shouting "Shut up and get over it."

But the pain I feel is very real. I just need to get over it, to accept it. I got a stinging disappointment today, but who didn't? Why do I feel I don't deserve to be snubbed?

Onto writing. If Big Train Show were a screenplay, one that would earn me millions, the esteem of everyone featured in People magazine, the acclaim that only an Oscar (tm) can provide, I may have the beginning:

Ext. Night

I'm now stuck. I'm not sure what would come next. Do I tell the director how to shoot the movie? Does she need to know the engorged sun is hovering just under the horizon, that Sid is kicking at debris at the side of the road? Maybe I should stick with prose. I could, however, use the money.

5 comments:

theangler said...

Now don't go and get filmic on me. I admit to having an interest in film. I've even written one screenplay, but that was more of an exercise than a serious attempt to break into the business. I think screenplays are worth writing AFTER the novel is written. But, I think I would want to direct the film myself.

Voyaging said...

I'd have to agree with TheAngler on this one. (A screenplay is recording the "movie to be" in words without telling the director what it will actually look like.) Screenplays ruin good novels, except those novels which were designed as "bestsellers" in order to become screenplays. Those just suck, they need to go straight to the screenwriter without bothering the rest of the world with all those no-style words.
What?!

theangler said...

Not that I know anything about the business, but my impression is that screen writing is just as difficult (if not more so) to break into as regular bestseller writing. Writing for money enforces a completely different set of priorities. My impression is that freelancing short articles is probably the easiest way to start a writing income. I've always found the boring old 9 to 5 the most secure way to ensure that I can write what I want to write.

Voyaging said...

At my place, I added a link to a blog of a struggling screenwriter in LA - it's nothing too detailed, just some insight - it hasn't been updated in a while. Thought you might be interested. I've been following her progress since the beginning of the year.

theangler said...

Saw your struggling screenwriter post. A lot of struggling going on in the blog-o-sphere.