Today's Thrilling Entry

It's raining. Perhaps this blog can be a weather charting one. That interests no one.

I've finished yet another Fantasy NaNovel, and have started wondering about writing one of my own. Why are they always set in Medieval Times? Is that when the worlds that permit magic stop? To be different I think I'd move mine up a spell, perhaps to some Dikensian Industrial Revolution time period. Also, I'd get rid of the unnatural limits on magical power and cast aspersions at the notions that it's at all difficult. You have to memorize a spell, a couple sentences. That cannot take years, so my guy would become a master magician in about a week. Also, since spell books are allowed, he'd be able to start the first day. There are no challenges in a world that permits magic, so why create them?

I think the limits on magic use, this "draining," are a result of game playing. It works for play-balancing, but rings false. If you know the spell you can cast it. Also, none of these weird-ass restrictions. Hell, magic in my world would be as reliable as gravity. So, the guy becomes instantly all-powerful and unstoppable, if that's not redundant.

I find the whole notion rather...silly. Yes, I'd love to live in a world that had ghosts and powers and healing spells and transporting and mind reading, but I'll have to create one. If I do this it would be called Magus One and would only be written to silence the multitudes who create hamstrung magicians.

1 comments:

theangler said...

I suppose that fantasy could be made interesting. Vonnegut does a good job with working SF elements into his novels. Why not do something similar with magic and mind reading?

Have you ever read any Harvey Pekar's stuff, American Splendor? A dull life worth reading about. Take a look at that before giving up on the confessional genre.

Also, what about Dave Eggers?