Elves in Workboots

I can't explain this, but I doubt it's anything paranormal.

And, yes, I'd love to see a ghost some day, or a UFO.

Anyway, elves descended on the home sometime last night and fixed the water heater. I have no idea how they did it, or how long a reprieve I've been granted, but it stopped leaking. And, it still does that which I ask of it, which is limited to heating water.

I'm not complaining, mind you, but unwilling to believe it's fixed for good. I think it's about ten years old and no doubt had a ten year warranty (like I ever keep track of that shit), so I think I've bought at most a few days, but I'm happy not seeing the thin trickle of water coming from the top.

I had no idea these nighttime elves could be so considerate, and so handy with pipe wrenches. It gave me time to research (read: surf the Internet) to find out how much one of the water heaters cost. My guess is I can get a new one installed for about a grand or could try to do it myself. How hard can it be? There's a gas line to hook up, and a cold water in and a hot water out. Oh, and some venting stuff. If the old chimney can be reused or adapted, that would be best, but that would never happen in my world.

The advantage the plumbers have, of course, is that if they need a adaptor or a part they can run to their truck or to a store and get one. I'd have to leave the damn thing half assembled and ride all over town looking for it and would then, ultimately, return with the wrong one.

I did notice a bunch of these tankless water heaters. They cost quite a bit more, I think, and I have no idea if they work or if they're only for special uses (propane?) or what, but it would be pretty cool just to heat the water as you need it. Perhaps I should look into them...

I've been reading. I'm considering writing TRE all over again because I think I can do a better job on it. I wonder why I'm never satisfied with anything I've done, why I can't just move on...

2 comments:

theangler said...

Why don't you do Deadline Day with Daniel and me? You could do one final rewrite on TRE and we'll do a three way exchange. My Recovering Eden, Daniel's Getting Away With It, and your TRE. It'll be fun. Deadline Day is in March sometime, like the third or fourth week. I'll have to check to see what we decided.

quakes fan said...

hey now! replacing a water heater is not that hard! I had to do it in my house in AZ, which was leaking from the bottom. Most of the plumbing fixtures are pretty standard and install kits are available. Check it out!