I Need More Than a Subject Here

It was a Christmas Eve of bike riding.

I traditionally do all my shopping on Christmas Eve. It immerses me into the holiday spirt. Something about the crowds, the frantic pace, it's a good time to shop.

This year, not so much. First, the holiday will be very small, just a few of us. No kids. I'm beginning to understand all the sociologist's wailing about the disintegrating nuclear family. Still, if I chose to travel I could be surrounded by many people with whom blood is shared.

I chose not to travel.

It took a couple trips to and from the local mall and shopping centers to purchase and transport my assortment of gifts. They've yet to be wrapped, but blogging is, after all, a priority. When I wrap them I like to think I do with an eye toward ease of opening. Nothing else can explain the sloppiness. Loosely wrapped gifts with a minimum of tape, that's the ticket.

I know one way to wrap: poorly.

Anyway, the bike ride was pretty much uphill and against the wind both ways. There's a nasty hill near the local Catholic Church (St Something) which I tried to avoid with moderate success. That church, by the way, is rather famous in our family. My mom used to point out the anachronism of the statue of Jesus out front, the one with him holding and reading a Bible. I believe the statue is made of poured concrete.

Anyway, it's time for Perry Como, Tony Bennett, and the Sinatras.

0 comments: