Day of Rest

I need a rest following yesterday, when I did nothing.

Today, again, I'll be doing nothing, saving everything up for tomorrow when I can do what I want without worrying about being judged. Yeah, I worry about that a lot.

As soon as I'm done with this entry I'm going to haul my misbehaving PC downstairs and look at it. This, I'm sure, will accomplish nothing, but I'm curious to know the make and model of my video card. Also, it occurs to me that that machine, a tossaway e-Machines from CompUSA (before e-Machines was purchased by Gateway), must have come with some video something or other. I'm not sure if I replaced the mobo or just the video card or what.

Ideally, I'd buy a replacement card just like the old one so I wouldn't have to worry about how to update drivers and whatnot under SuSE. WXP will no doubt notice the card and ask about it, but I need to tell the other operating systems it's there to begin with, I think. Windows, as always, is friendlier, but demands one to accept its judgements.

I may also bike out to the stores. I need food and water. Also, adhesive tape.


UPDATE: I'm writing this from the once-dead computer. Because I am *so* clever and knowledgeable, so familiar with all things computer-y, I was able to yank out the non-working card and use the built-in one. WXP, oddly enough, didn't notice the change and SuSE got it all wrong. Nothing graphical worked until I went in and "modified" all the settings manually. Long live console mode and emacs!

So, my spirits are a bit better. Now...stores and shopping or lawn work or reading or putting up the damn Christmas Lights????

2 comments:

theangler said...

I like to see you with a roll of duct tape.

russ said...

Hah! I should take some pics for one of these blogs...

I burned my arm and put a gauze pad on it. The only tape in the house, I kid you not, is so old it was in a metal container and had the price printed right on it.

Thirty-five cents.

The roll had been sitting so long the adhesive had soaked through and both sides were equally sticky. I considered duct tape. Seriously!