Aggragator Aggravation

Grrr.

This RSS aggregator and feed-generating thing want some work. I'm not sure if it's better to have the process automated, not considering what it does to comment addition. Then again, I wonder if that's the kind of thing that would hamper ad bots from spamming me...

I'd hoped, this morning, to change the look of Crennalated Flotsam. Actually, since my mood isn't all that crucial, I was hoping to change the heading and parse the current Rapture Index. That way we'd all be informed just how close to DOOM we were (it's currently at 150). I also considered some other changes, but got stuck looking for help and nearly ruined the whole damn thing.

Backup is your friend.

Then, tired of that, I began looking for a better aggregator. I believe part of the problem is the RSS-Atom distinctions. Some aggregators will only display the content of some pages (but all of the article headers), others display the content as HTML text files, which just looks poor.

So I considered talking about corporations, something that's been on my mind a lot, but haven't yet reached a conclusion. Which led me, on my bike ride to the market, to consider a lecture on degrees of knowledge, or about picking up pennies, or about writers. In the end, I sat down and watched a show TiVo had captured about imploding hotels in Las Vegas.

Those people who do that for a living are worthy of the term "expert." I've been called that, and some people consider medical doctors to be that good, but the term's overused.

If I *were* an expert, though, with a salary to match, I'd be getting these.


I've run across lots and lots of "you should read this" listings. About as often as I agree, I recognize a name and learn more about the person making the list than I did before. Most often, and humbly, the list contains many names of writers I haven't heard of, or only recognize from other lists.

I've considered it, somehow incorporating into this blog a graphic of my current reading list, or making my own list of books that "must" be read. What I *can* say is that I consider Toni Morrison over-rated, and Richard Yates under-recognized.

Today, I'm neither sure why I write nor why I blog. I'm driven to do both, so I take it as scratching an itch.

0 comments: